Hi guys!
This week I will be reviewing and responding to an alternative source for the game of basketball. I decided to focus specifically on preparing for the new season. The article I am reading from is linked here: Basketball HQ Training Videos.
So, I would like to first begin with an explanation as to why I have chosen this topic. At this time of the year, the world of basketball is in full bloom and teams around the world are battling for wins in their seasons. This year I was particularly excited for the season to come and had a bundle of expectations and desires for myself to perform on the court. Sadly, I was stopped in my tracks due to my finger being broken just as season was beginning. So now, I must move forward and wait for next season to come around and I want to be more prepared than ever before.
In reading the first several paragraphs in the "Preparing for the New Basketball Season" article, there is a lot of mentioning of mindset. I would pay particular attention to this article because I find that in any sport, the game starts in your head. Any distraction like lack of confidence, worrying about past and potential mistakes all affect the results of a players performance in the game. It is all mental.
"How can you expect your coaches or teammates to have confidence in you, if you don’t even have confidence in yourself? Confidence is not arrogance and a lot of people confuse the two. Have confidence in your ability, but don’t be a show boat or try to be a selfish player"
I cannot stress this quote enough! Being confident in yourself and knowing what you are capable of plays a gigantic role in performance. Although, I know too many players who tend to believe confidence is cockiness. In being cocky, it is common that these players believe they are "good enough" and have no more need to improve. Any true player knows that there is no such thing as being the best and there is always room to improve. There will ALWAYS be someone better than you. So keep getting better.
A second quote I love in this article is,
"Don’t let fighting over the same position make you a bad teammate. You should work as hard as you possible can for your position, but do this in a team building way. If every player is working their hardest then that is going to make practice competitive and make every player that much better"
Instead of hating a teammate who is better than you, compete with them. By doing so, you benefit your own game, your teams performance, and continue to challenge the opposing teammate. The game of basketball is a team sport and though it seems a single player or two can rule the court themselves, nothing looks better than entire team who plays together and believes in the ability of one another.
Thank you for reading along!
Gabby
No comments:
Post a Comment